Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Geocache: Intersection

In my most recent attempt to lose weight and become more active, I decided that I would do some geocaching.  My aunt mentioned that there were walking trails around where we live and I thought to myself "Hillary, there might be geocaches on those trails that will get you out of the house and moving."  In order for exercise to really work for me, I need some sort of goal and a geocache seemed like the perfect thing to walk to.

This is my first geocache in a long time and I was really excited to find that there is an app for my phone that I can use to help me find them.  In the past, I used a GPS that I had borrowed from my physics teacher.  The app is pretty cute.  
I found the first screen extremely funny.  The other illustrations were amusing as well, but this was the best one.  As if I would walk off the edge of a cliff! Well.. I am accident prone, so maybe I should be taking this warning more seriously.

Clip of me starting out.  

Here is me walking towards the geocache.  I wasn't quite sure if I was allowed to be where I was.  It kind of looked like a back alley, not a street.  On the map it showed that I would turn down a street and walk towards the trail, but there was no street name that matched that on the map.  I took my chances and went down there anyway.  It wasn't creepy or anything.  And I wouldn't say "cute," probably more... non-urban.  Since I've moved to San Antonio I have really only been in city area, so this was a nice change of pace from what I normally see around town.  



I saw a total of fifteen people on my walk there and back, and every single person looked at my pencil.  Would I look less quizzical if I wore a fanny pack?  If you think about it though, a pencil wouldn't be a horrible weapon.  I could potentially stab an attacker.  Maybe that's why they thought I was carrying around a pencil, for protection.



Guys, I found it!!  It wasn't too hard to find.  I'm glad I chose this one as my first.  It was an easy one to just get started off with and get my feet wet.  And there was a Harry Potter reference!  That was exciting to see :)  Thank you Funkeymonkeys for a great first geocache!


No comments:

Post a Comment